Projects

Sunday, March 29, 2015

Something Different: Owls


Somehow two of my hobbies have managed to run together. Both my wife and I are birders and also volunteer with a bird rehab organization. Part of the reason for this stems from our love of birds and owls in particular. Last year my wife started a new hobby of needle felting small birds and again in particular owls. She has also started a sideline of selling them on Etsy. ( You can check it out here at Birds By Botzan.) I have helped her out with parts of her projects before, mostly making armatures and constructing feet and beaks for some birds.

Saw Whet owl found in Canada
Then she asked me to try my hand at sculpting some owls for her after seeing something similar online. I decided to try to use Super Sculpey for this project. I've made some terrain and architectural details with Super Sculpey before but never any real detailed sculpting. I also used premade glass eyes for the sculpts. These are worth their weight in gold for really making the figures come to life.



The first one I did was a Saw-Whet Owl based vaguely off a picture I took of one last fall in Canada.
He was basically a learning experience with how to work with the Super Sculpey. After he was baked and hardened I also painted him up.



The second is a snowy owl. A while ago we had purchased a pair of books about making wood carvings of owls. These were an invaluable reference as they have tons of excellent drawings and scale references. He still needs to painted but I think he is a big improvement over the first little guy.


28mm figure I dug out of my collection for scale. Not meant to be giant ferocious owls but they could work in a pinch. 

4 comments:

  1. The first one is impressive but the second shows a noticeable improvement. Very nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm still working on a couple more that may eventually find their way onto the blog as well.

      Delete
  2. That's phenomenal sculpting. Really impressive stuff that's making me incredibly jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Mr. West! I have one more that is almost done but haven't quite managed to finish sculpting yet.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...