Projects

Saturday, March 25, 2017

A Little German Countryside


I've jumped back into terrain making trying out a couple of ideas I've had recently. My plan is to build up some terrain that can be used for upcoming Team Yankee games and further afield maybe some Pikeman's Lament. So I'm basically looking at a West German setting separated by a few centuries in time.

First up is the basic mat that I'll be using for taking pictures. One day I'll make a full sized mat but for now I like making these smaller 1' by 2' ones. I'm also using it as a test bed to try out a different technique for flocking.

The construction was done the same as the one I did up for my red terrain previously.




For flocking I wanted a more natural fade to edges of the vegetation so the entire mat was painted with a thinned white glue mixture with a touch of brown ink in it. Then the flock was sprinkled on through a sieve held about a foot over the mat.

After this dried I knocked off the excess and used a hand sprayer to hit the whole mat again with the same watery glue mix. I let it really soak in to hopefully hold everything on. I also sprinkled some secondary layers of turf in patches to give more texture.

The extra glue has really fixed the turf in place without any unforseen problems. I was a little worried I might get a shine or discoloration from the glue.

I covered the left side pretty completely but on the right its more sparse. This way I could use each side for different looks in pictures. 

The mat with some of my TYW terrain and Shotte.

Closer up shot in the lightbox. 


I also got in the start of my Team Yankee British so work on the Recce troop is up next. Also some more terrain pieces. 

6 comments:

  1. Looks good! I like your technique and I think it really works well here. Looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to finish off the next pieces this week if things go according to plan.

      Delete
  2. I think the photo mat looks really good. It is also interesting to see how the other terrain pieces fit in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had mixed up a batch of flock to use with my TYW project and have been using that to keep things consistent. Also one of the nice advantages of documenting on the blog is that it also works as a reference a year later when I finally get back to a project lol.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...