Projects

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Bonus Round Entry 2: Mount and Riders

 
It took me quite some time to figure out what I wanted to do with this one. I trolled through my lead pile but came up with a disappointing selection of cavalry models. None of which sparked much interest in me. As much fun as the diversion of the first round was I wanted to get back to my main projects as well.

Union Land Ironclads are marked by both a production number and bear the Union shield.
Inspiration struck while going through my 15mm stuff as I had socked away a few models to form the core of my steampunk Union army. So I ended up working on a unit of dismounting Horseless Cavalry.
 
C Troop of the 9th Cavalry dismount on the edge of the poisoned zone.
The vehicle is actually a steam-tankette for 28mm from RAFM. When I first saw it I though it would scale much better as 15mm vehicle. I ended up extending the under chassis with some plasticard as it looked a little sliced off and awkward. I also added some extra bits to it including a new hatch on top and some towing attachments to the rear. Thus was born the Adams class stern-wheeler land ironclad.


As a frontier unit the 9th still hasn't received its full supply of new Prussian Green uniforms. Some still wear the older Calvary Blues.
I'm guessing that this is an older 3D printer model. It has some heavy layers from print layers on them. I kinda wished I filled them in a little better as the contrast between it and the flat plasticard on the bottom is rather stark. I did put some Mr. Surfacer on it in an attempt to blend it together but I guess I needed a couple more coats.
 
In progress shot to better see the extended chassis. I thought it gave it a bit more bulk for the scale. Would of liked to put all of those little rivets on it though ...

The Adams class Land Ironclad has become the workhorse of the plains fleet and central to the development of horseless cavalry units. This unarmed version is usually referred to the John Adams while the turreted one is the Sam Adams.

For the riders I'm using some of the US armored infantry from All Quiet on the Martian front. I figured these guys wouldn't want to walk around in all that heavy armor and might want to ride in on a vehicle like the Russian tankodesantniki from WW2.

The newly issued "Stevenson's Iron Lung" breathing equipment is vital for operation in the poisoned air of the Disputed Territories.

I converted a couple of the models so they could still be riding on top and one hanging on to the side as he is dismounting. Most were painted up in the Union's new Prussian Green uniform* but I also painted a few up in the older blues of the army.

* I just made that one up, but since my version of the Union is hostile to the British Empire I figured closer ties to Prussia might occur and the adoption of British styled khaki would be frowned upon. Plus I want my Confederates in khaki if I ever get to doing some.

Current Army doctrine is for Horseless Cavalry to dismount from towed carriages and advance into battle on foot, in practice most troopers have taken to riding directly on the ironclads.   

Don't forget to check out all of the great entries for the second round over at the Painting Challenge Blog.


Will the troopers discover the reason this homestead was abandoned?

8 comments:

  1. Those are some great looking models. I can't believe they're 15mm. I usually try to sand off the printer lines, sometimes with not so great results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You! The guys are from All Quiet so they're actually really big for 15mm, closer to 20mm really. I did try sanding the tank a bit but the resin is rather tough and with the rivets all around the edges it made it overally difficult to get a nice finish. I have a second one and I'll probably try to get a better finish on that one.

      Delete
  2. Certainly one of my favourites of this round Brian, great job Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice work Brian. Like that 'tank' a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mark, I think it scales in with 15mm really well, not sure how a 28mm guy would fit in there to be honest.

      Delete
  4. I hope I said this on the Challenge website, but if not, I thought this tank was a terrific model, full of ingenuity and atmosphere, very unique. I liked it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I think there is something about wheeled tanks that give a more anachronistic and 19th century feel to me.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...