Projects

Thursday, December 19, 2013

The Wyrm of Golgatha


I've always planned for the Cabal to be the shadowy evil organization of the Steamworks universe. I also have always liked the semi organic look of the Cryx warjacks and I knew that was what I wanted to use for the Cabal. One thing I like about the Cryx stuff in general is that most of them have a non typical body plan. This one is the Cankerworm and has a nice snake/centipede body. However, I wasn't too fond of the skull head. It just didn't work for me and made it look out of scale. Luckily, I also have a Leviathan kit  that will see service in the future and it comes with three head options. So one came off and the other went on.

New head and tail surgery covered up with some dirt encrustations.
It also had a weird claw at the end of its tail which rather reminded me of an earwig (One of the few insects I truly find revolting. I think it has something to do with the ear bugs from Wrath of Khan, a movie that I saw at perhaps too impressionable an age.) So a simple head swap and some tail surgery later and the Wyrm was born.


I tried to paint the the main body like an old cast iron frying pan. Maybe not the most fearsome thing but I like that rusty black metal look. Details were picked out in tarnished brass and I used green to accent the otherworldly power source.


Before any powders went on. Also a little blown out with flash.
Post weathering powders. Along with all of the other pictures.
I also wanted to try out some weathering powders on it. I recently ordered some secret weapon pigments and this was my first time using them. I slapped them on pretty liberally and thought perhaps I might have over done it. But after a coat of matte varnish they were toned down and blended in rather nicely. I'm thinking I might order a few more colors as they give a really nice effect. 

Another quite day in Lower Fickleham



3 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...