Projects

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Roads No Longer Taken


No, I'm not going to wax philosphical about changing lives and such. Instead this is about an experiment to make a flexible road for my alien world terrain. To fit in with the Big Stone Heads I wanted the road to look like ancient stone pavers that have been partially reclaimed by nature.

They won't break line of site or anything useful in a game of 40k but they help tell a story with the terrain setup and those really are my favorite type of pieces.

The basic plan is the same as all the rest of my flexible pieces with the addition of some stone slabs made out of pink foam. I wanted them to look weathered so they were sanded down then given a coat of wood putty. These were glued directly to the mesh base.

The roads are on the bottom right. The others are rough ground pieces that I worked on at the same time. 

The rest of the build was the usual except I've tried out some new material for longer grass. Going into the project I knew I didn't want to use my standard static grass or typical trees. I wanted to have a more alien looking flora. I have a plan for the trees which hopefully I'm finally getting close to starting but I was at a loss for grasses to match. Then while browsing through my flytying materials ( often raided for modelling) I found some crystal dubbing. I later bought several shades that I thought would work together and mixed up some grasses.





While its made of a similar material as normal static grass it's a bit shinier and sparklier. It's also a bit longer and more curled so I had to cut it up into shorter lengths. I'm not entirely convinced with the effect but I think it might look better once I have more pieces complete.






6 comments:

  1. Looking good! Can't wait to see the next pieces. However, Big Stone Head does not look impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to get a tree done next then Big Stone Head might be more satisfied!

      Delete
  2. Big Stone Head definitely seems unimpressed with the upkeep of the roads by the parish council.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly the roads around me are in only marginally better shape.

      Delete
  3. What a great idea, ancient roads fallen into disrepair, they look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hopefully with a few more pieces I can give an impression of a long lost city. Or at least town.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...